Thursday, March 3, 2011

3*3*11

Today I did something I don't typically do and you are about to read the story about it.

Earlier this afternoon I was journaling about my desire to take pictures of strangers. I took some time to think about how the things that we do in this life don't really matter unless people are involved in it. What good is our work if we aren't sowing into people? What do our talents benefit if loving people isn't the goal?

Here's the problem; I'm not the type of person who goes up and starts conversations with people. I'm the kind of person who likes to watch other people do that. I'm the kind of person that is confortable encouraging people to do that. I'm the kind of person that enjoys doing it if someone else is going to do the talking. I'm not the kind of person that does this sort of thing.

So I was driving to the church when I saw Liala on the street with a cardboard sign. I knew that she was the person for me to photograph today. I knew it.

I was scared.

I pulled into the Starbucks that she was standing next to. Why? Because I knew a friend of mine was working. I went in and asked Rachel to encourage me to go talk to this lady. She did that and she prayed for me. Then I was on my way.

I nervously approached her and asked her if I could take her picture in exchange for me buying her lunch or a coffee. She agreed and I snapped a shot or two.

I grabbed a couple drinks and we sat outside for maybe half an hour. I learned about her life, the things she's gone through and past mistakes. I told her a little bit about myself and the things that I do, and as much as I brightened her day (as she told me multiple times) I feel like I was encouraged through her. We spent most of our time talking about churches and what it looks like to be a Christian. She was telling me that she stands on the street corner often and that she's noticed that it's the Christians who come up to her and just want to know her. They don't just want to give her money, but they want to know her; they want to bless her; they want to show her what loving Christ really looks like.

It was nice. It was fun. Hopefully I'll see her again.

Anyway, that's all for now. Pray for me as I continue to try to talk to strangers.


3 comments:

  1. wow elisha...she is a beautiful lady

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elisha, I have to say what you are doing is beautiful. Sewing into God's people and touching the lives of out own brothers and sisters in Christ is so wonderful. What in inspiration.

    ReplyDelete